The Best Budget-friendly Christmas Dinner Recipe Ideas
This year’s holiday season would be different, more low-key, and less gathering. If you are looking for Christmas dinner recipe ideas, you came to the right place.
In this post, I am sharing with you 50 Christmas menu ideas that will get you excited to cook a festive feast without draining your wallet.
I categorized the recipes based on the main ingredient of the dish. As you’ll notice, the majority is vegetables, and the reason being is because they are affordable and nutritious which makes them an excellent alternative for the traditional Christmas dinner. No matter what your cooking skill level is, I made sure that there is something for everyone.
Be inspired and create a new holiday tradition with these delicious and cheap Christmas recipes that’ll fill your tummies and save you money. Enjoy!
Don’t underestimate the power of potatoes. They are packed with fiber, vitamin C, and potassium, they’re versatile, cheap, and they’re in abundance in the winter perfect for a Christmas meal on a budget.
Be ready because I’ll be taking your love for potatoes to the next level with these stellar recipes.
10 Must-try potato recipes:
- Roast potatoes with oregano and feta
- Hassleback potatoes and garlic confit
- Souvlaki potatoes with feta, herbs, and chorizo
- Colombian-style creamy fried potatoes (fried papas criollas)
- Loaded smashed potatoes
- Christmas cheesy potatoes
- Scalloped potatoes
- Red potato and shishito pepper hash
- Potatoes boulangère
- Cacio e Pepe potatoes
2. Green beans
You might be wondering why I included green beans on the list, if you are lucky enough to live in a place with a warm climate or mild winters, you might have these vegetables available for you. If not, you can always buy them frozen.
They’re easy to make, pack with nutrition, easily available all year-round, and cheap. Be inspired to transform this side dish into a wonderful dish that will wow your family and friends this Christmas dinner.
“Not-your-ordinary” green bean recipes:
- Nutty green beans and asparagus with bacon
- French green beans with garlicky almond breadcrumbs
- Leftover green bean niçoise
- Green beans with garlic-herb butter
- Saucy stovetop Thai green beans
- Green bean casserole with crispy sausage
- Instant pot Southern green beans
- Ranch roasted green bean fries
- Green bean bacon bundles
- Bourbon green beans with bacon
Packed with umami flavor and satisfyingly delicious, mushrooms are one of the most versatile ingredients to have in your kitchen. It can be served as a side dish or as a meal.
Check out our suggested recipes below for some ideas on how to transform this ingredient into a meal that will please everyone.
10 Impressive mushrooms recipes you must try:
- Grilled balsamic mushroom
- Spicy mushroom larb
- One-Pot Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Orzo
- 15-Minute Parmesan-Thyme Mushrooms
- Jamie Oliver’s mushroom knish
- Mushroom carpaccio
- Wild mushroom galette
- Shiitake scallopine
- Mouth-watering stuffed mushrooms
- Gourmet mushroom risotto
Just because it’s Christmas doesn’t mean you should skip on eating radishes. It might not be as popular as potatoes or green beans but it is delicious just as much. The reason why I included it on this list is that it’s cheap and nutritious.
Radishes don’t have to be boring, so I included the best recipes to make use of these vegetables.
10 Incredible radish recipes to try:
- Indian radish and peanut salad
- Braised radishes
- Pear and pickled radish
- Moroccan orange and radish salad
- Garlic roasted radishes
- Brown butter radishes
- Fried radishes
- Glazed radishes
- Roasted Radishes with Citrus Vinaigrette and Breadcrumbs
- Fresh Radish Tartines with Cultured Butter and Sea Salt
Chicken is one of those traditional dishes that our moms usually cook on special occasions and Christmas is one of them. It’s a very versatile ingredient that can be cooked in thousands of ways which is very important if you’re on a budget. If you know how to butcher a whole chicken, kudos to you because you just save even more money than the pre-cut ones.
When you think of chicken, the first thing that comes to mind is either it is cooked fried or roasted, but today, I wanted to highlight this incredible source of protein by sharing with you stellar recipes that’ll change the way you cook your chicken. Enjoy.
10 Amazing chicken recipes you need to try:
- Creole chicken pasta
- Swiss chicken
- One-pan pesto chicken and veggies
- Stupid simple roast chicken
- Chicken cacciatore
- Lemon-rosemary chicken thighs
- Spicy Yogurt Marinated Chicken Legs
- Royal chicken cooked in yogurt
- Chicken marsala
- Sheet -pan chicken with jammy tomatoes and pancetta
There you have it, I hoped you got some recipe ideas and inspired you to cook this upcoming Christmas dinner.
Featured Image by Jed Owen via Unsplash